Wednesday, April 20, 2011

the people under the stairs

I know there are people out there who support charity (yes your 10 cents in the salvation army bucket counts) and then there are people who support charity. Giving their time and energy into a cause.

Some people don't seem to care one way or the other. Can I be rude and say I was raised right?

Oops..I just did.

Someone asked me why I volunteer so much. Well, why not?

Everyone is busy and some of us are really busy. I may only have one kid but I also have a full time school schedule, a house to run, a mountain of laundry, a business to run, books to read, and hours of sleep to catch up on. However, I do find it fulfilling when something I do helps the organization I support. Not to mention, how many people ggyr in turn, helps. How many rides we give, how many kids get excited when they ride a horse or play at the ranch.

guess what? Thousands. Really.

I think people think that because their support isn't always monetary that it doesn't count. When you help a nonprofit, nothing is insignificant.

Also, just because you don't see someone on the front lines doing hard labor for that nonprofit, doesn't mean they aren't helping because behind the scenes work is what provides you the opportunity to come out and enjoy the fruits of our labor. Support your behind the scenes peeps!

We are the ones with tendonitis and bad backs and bad eyes and pale skin. Papercuts and headeaches. Jammed printers, overheated shredders and the MS wordperfect that keeps freezing on us because it's overused.

We are also the ones who get to answer your emails and phone calls and million questions.

Be nice.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

AMEN!!

Sarah B said...

You are Super Duper Melissa, not sure how you do it all!!! Someday :).