Sunday we got word that Nick's cousin Modesto had passed away. I was devastated and thank god for Dena being right there when I heard the news. He was such a grouchy, loveable man. He was also really funny and generous. He lived a long life and I know when Nick's papa chet passed a few years ago, he not only lost a cousinnlaw, but his best pal and that was hard for him. We watched him battle illness and act like nothing was wrong. I will never forget his homemade pizza and the fact that he used so much rosemary it burned my mouth and he gave me a coke which made it that much worse! What a guy!
Nick's noni Helen lost her cousin this week and the last remaining original family member she had. That made my heart break for her. We knew she would outlast them all, she is an amazing woman. When I say amazing, I mean AMAZING and strong and resilient and generous. Please say a prayer for her and Mo's kids this week if you can. Nick looks at it in a positive way where Mo is back with his wife and papa chet and Nick's mom Ida now. I am glad he is not suffering anymore and I hope he is with them, at peace and happy to be reunited.
I'm grateful I knew him, that he knew our daughter and for a brief time, Phoebe had a great cousin and that she remembers his walking cane. Because he let her play with it. That's the thing about italians, they are unforgettable and generous and loving. They love their children and families and no matter how grouchy the men get, they are still huggable and darling.
Mo, I will never forget your shitty driving and how you and Papa Chet used to yell at each other in italian at the table until Noni called you both sons of bitches and you kept on keeping on. I won't forget your rosemary pizza and your sarcasm. What a blessing it was for me to know you and call you family. I hope you are reunited finally with the loves of your life and happy.
We miss you already.
1 comment:
Very nice tribute. :) Makes me long for my Ohio relatives, both the living and the deceased.
Post a Comment