Thursday, February 16, 2012

Serendipity, the dog who loved and lived

When Nick and I were dating, he got a boxer puppy for college graduation. Crazy, I know. He named her Roxie and she was adorable and she chewed and chewed and chewed. When she was 6 months old I came upon a family who had a 9 month old bullmastiff puppy who they needed to rehome. She was apparently too rambunctious for their elderly lab. We went to meet her and took Roxie along. Her name was Angel. She lived in a junkyard. She had rocks for grass and a kittycat for a friend. When her and Roxie met it was like the heavens opened up and all was right with the world.

On the way home with a 100 lb and a 40 lb puppy in the backseat, I decided to rename Angel, Serendipity. Because she was a fortunate accident for our little family. She had a lovely golden coat and a big, sloppy mouth. She loved Roxie. Roxie and her were peas and carrots.

Everyone who met Serendipity loved her. She was a giant mess. Nick started calling her Dippy because she was one. So, Serendipity became Dippy. Shortly after we got her, Nick and I got hitched and moved to AZ. We bought a big, fantastic house with a huge yard for the girls. While we were waiting for the keys to our house, the dogs broke in through the backyard doggie door and made their way up the stairs. We noticed them both looking out the upstairs master bedroom window at us and Nick and I and the neighbor were trying to get them to go down the stairs and out before anyone noticed. Well, Dippy saw Nick and did what Dippy's do. She pushed the window open and popped out the screen. Then she jumped. From a two story window to her dad.

Miraculously, Nick caught her. I think that was the beginning of a decade long back injury for him.

The next day I let the dogs explore the pool area, and dippy walked right in, and sank to the bottom. It was March. The water was a cool 58 degrees. I had to jump in and save her. She wasn't worried, she was standing on the bottom of the pool waiting for me.

Needless to say, the pool area was no longer explored by either dog.

A year later, Dippy was discovered by an agent! She became a show doggie and got headshots and everything! Every week we went for auditions and she and a very jealous chihuahua graced the cover of a christmas hallmark card. Dippy was the reindeer.

We moved back to NM in 2004. About 10 months after we moved back, our sweet Roxie became very ill and although she was going to pull through, at the age of 4, went to Rainbow Bridge. Nick and I were so distraught, but Dippy was more. For several months she laid around and didn't eat much or play. Didn't want to go on walks, we tried to find her friends but no one would ever pale in comparison to her sweet sister, Roxie.

I became worried about her and realized she was getting older. She sure was a dumb dog. She didn't care who was in the way, she would push right through you. Roxie used to boss her around and Dippy would do whatever Roxie wanted. Tip over trashcans, push doors open, get on the counter.

One year I made a gingerbread house with Phoebe. We came home to find it completely eaten and Dippy laying on the couch with white icing evidence all over her face.

When Matilda entered our lives, she came from a very bad place. From a bad home where she was beaten to our home where the couch was hers and a big, fat, sloppy friend waited. I don't know what she thought of Dippy but I do know that after awhile, they became very best friends.

When Dippy was about 9 and a half we noticed her losing weight and not feeling so good. Dippy's are only supposed to live 8-10 years. Our sweet girl is 11. Just having had a birthday on New Years Eve.

I do know that even though the past year of her life has been one of solitude due to her diabetes and smell and inability to hold it in, she has lived a very loved life. She has had some of the best friends anyone could ever ask for!

Roxie, Don Vito (our 75 pound tortoise), Matilda, Jerry and Rachel, even Igor.

I would give that dog cpr if I had too and last year I almost had too. Don't ever give whole cheeseburgers to your dogs fyi.

Our sweet golden girl is now partially hairless, deaf, almost blind, diabetic and smelly.

But I will miss her every day. 11 years is a long time for a big doggie. I know this. Nick knows this. I don't know if she does. She just had two cheeseburgers (cut up) and some fries and I wonder if she knows that tomorrow she will get to finally see Roxie again at Rainbow Bridge. I hope Roxie is still waiting.

Isn't it funny how when you lose a pet, it hurts so much more. Oh how my heart hurts. I feel like I may vomit and my head is pounding. I don't know if I can take it. But I do know that I love my dog and I hope she knows that I do.
I don't know how the next chapter will be for me. I know that it won't be the same without my smelly girl.
I know that the days will be hard and sad. I thank god that even though Elvis is a jerk to her, that Matilda has him for comfort. Why do doggies have to go? I love you sweet Dippy. 11 years of smells, joy, douchecockery, cuddles, laughs, birthdays, walks, cheeseburgers, accidents, time outs, sorrow, frolics, new friends, old friends, slobber, and most of all love. You were in fact, an Angel. A serendipitous moment in my life I will never ever regret having. I am so lucky to have found you. I have loved you every day. I will miss you every day sweet girl.

don vito and dippy    

6 comments:

Mrs. Petrie said...

I'm so sorry about your doggy. :( We lost our big pit-lab last summer and it broke our hearts. Carisa

KV said...

This is such a sweet, loving tribute to your dear Dippy. Believe me, she knows how much you all loved her . . . .

Much love,

Mom

Michelle said...

Crying! RIP, fat sweet Dippy. Drink all the water you want in doggy heaven.

Love you, Davis fam.. So sorry for your loss.

Michelle M said...

Oh Melissa.. I am so sorry. If you need/want someone to go with you.. I will. <3

I agree, loosing a family dog/child is very hard. Six years ago I lost 'my first child' who I had for 12 years and is now creamated in her own memorial in our backyard.. she is still spoke of fondly. There is nothing to compare to the love of a pet. I got 2 spoiled rotten ones hanging out watching TV with us now.. ;) My heart is with you. xx

Dena said...

Melissa- so very sorry to hear about your dear, sweet Dippy. I know she will be missed terribly by you all! Please let me know if you need anything. We'd love to help in any way possible. Love, blessings, hugs and kisses my friend!

Keri said...

Sending you love.....