Tuesday, April 10, 2012

pmdd at it's finest

Fundraising is the gentle art of teaching the joy of giving.




Is that what it is? Huh....




The past 2 weeks have been hellacious and exhausting. Yes I said hellacious. I don't even think it's a word. I don't even care right now.


A few years ago I started doing something because I wanted too. I loved it, I got excited with the results from it. I was nudged to take it even further and after months of consideration, I took it further.

WHY????????

I am a solicitor. I ask people for money. I have no shame. I do it for a good cause. I get doors slammed in my face, hung up on, told no a thousand times a month and I still do it. I am not asking you to buy a magazine subscription or a vacuum. I'm asking you to give to a good cause.


What really pisses me off is that when someone hears you are a fundraiser, they immediately think of cookies and popcorn and raffles.

Do I look like I could sell popcorn? Or want too?

Fundraising is hard, it's tedious, it's stressful, and it makes you want to rip your hair out of your head several times a day. You deal with idiots and assholes.

You also deal with kind, generous, caring people. If you are lucky. Which I am. Most of the time.

However, sometimes people have really high expectations of you and it becomes overwhelming. I feel like I am suffocating and I know I should suck it up, but it's hard. It's smothering and hard and I hate it.

I'm tired of people acting like I don't do anything, that I drive around all day sipping lattes and listening to the smiths. Well, sometimes I do that too, while driving to a meeting or the post office or the printer or to pick up a donation. Sometimes I wish martinis were allowed at breakfast, or today at least.

I'm stressed people. Highly. I run on fumes 90% of the day and then the other 10% I lie awake and go over my lists and if I am lucky I sleep for a few hours. I'm wound up, I'm bitter, and I complain.

I don't think people realize how hard it is to put on a fundraiser, a real fundraiser. With entertainment, donations, sponsors, a meal, employees, programs, invites, venues, caterers, favors....

I hate entertaining in my own house now. I can't even host a bbq because it means I have to plan it. PLANNING!!!!!!!!!!

and I hardly eat. It's the damn truth! Yet here I am..still wobbling around, a giant stress ball. Somebody pop me!

Did I mention I will officially be middle aged in a month?

by the way, it's my blog and I can bitch if I want too.........



 










No comments: