Monday, August 30, 2010

For David

"If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. but the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. i'll always be with you.”
-Christopher Robin



Today my family lost a good friend. My husband lost a mentor. The world lost a most genuine, fantastic person. Somewhere across town, there is a sweet, sweet family who is mourning the loss of their husband, father and friend. My heart broke today when I heard this news. Isn't it strange how when you lose a friend, your world stops, you don't want to eat or drink, you can't get your head together and you just sort of stand still..
When you lose a family member, you do a million things, you make a million phone calls, you can't stop and stand still..

Today, it stood still.

David was our friend. He was my ally in Nick's office. Whenever Nick was down and out or paranoid, I would mention this to David and he would laugh and tell me to tell Nick to chill out. He encouraged Nick to take days off and to remember to leave work at the office and to spend time with his family. I think he might have had something there..

This man is the reason we are back in NM peeps. He took a chance on Nick and saved him. He praised him and scolded him and loved him. He was a leader and a friend. He enjoyed Phoebe's visits to the office and always gave her candy or a marker to color with, even when he was busy.

He loved to tell stories about his own kids, and he was so proud of their accomplishments. He loved the outdoors and he loved his wife. He rescued cats. He loved to garden. He loved to travel.

I remember one work trip, when he brought Nick home one night after a two day trip to Eunice. They rolled up into the driveway in David's wife Pat's prius. I couldn't even hear them coming, the only reason I knew they were there was the headlights. I laughed at them rolling up in this little, silent car. Even thought it was midnight, he got out and hugged me and talked about their trip. Asked how things were and we laughed again about the car.

I can be angry about that damn cancer. I can cry and mourn and wonder why. And it won't bring him back. It won't make me feel better. Yet we are still angry and still sad and we are still asking why.


He always took the time to stop and smell the roses. Or to talk to a friend. Or to give a 3 year old a marker and watch her draw a funny picture, to laugh at her dig her hand in the candy jar and take 10 pieces. Or to give a hug, even when you tell him that you haven't showered yet that day..


I only knew him but 6 years, but the point my friends, is that I knew him.


We love you David. And we will miss you every day of our lives. We already do.




"In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back"
Charlie Brown

5 comments:

Sarah B said...

that was a beautiful tribute, Melissa. You have a heart of gold :)... Prayers to his family & friends.

Melissa said...

Thanks Sarah. This is a hard loss. ):

KV said...

Well done, Melissa . . . .

Much love,

Mom

Anonymous said...

sorry melissa and nick
tim

The Wades said...

Really beautiful! I hope his family gets to read this tribute. When things calm down for them a bit, you really should send them an email with a link to this.

I'm sorry I never got to meet David. Sounds like he was a pretty incredible person.

Hugs to you all.