Sunday, September 20, 2009

the baby whisperer

Last night my house temperature got down to 59! LOVE IT! Nick got pissed and turned the air off and the temperature climbed back up to 70. So much for that. dang.

I have a huge test tonight....in Oncology and the Integumentary system. Sounds keen right? It's not. Then I get to watch an hour long video of an Awake Craniotomy--holy caca I am not looking forward to that one. Why do I have to watch this? I'm not going to school to be a doctor..or a nurse...or a candy striper! The nightmares that will follow are going to be brutal, thank god for tylenol pm.

Today we had lunch with our friends Amber and Eric and their sweet baby girl, Riley who is almost 5 months old. She looks like a teeny elf with her bright red hair and blue eyes. She is already working her parents like a clock too. They both looked exhausted and about ready to cry at any minute and they kept apologizing to Nick and I about it. He and I busted a gut! Finally--friends who are honest about their feelings towards being new parents! Hello! We have a few friends who only raved about the good parts and never let anyone see them down, but these two shared the woes of the past 4 and a half months and we let them. Been there..thank god it's over.
Here is that little dollie Riley--




You can't tell--but her hair is bright red which means she will most likely have tricks up her sleeves for life!

Our food came to the table and Riley started screaming again, scream--scream--scream. Mom and dad looked like they wanted to throw the towel in so I got up and took that screaming red headed doll and we walked away. And guess what? She stopped crying! HA!
I told Amber and Eric that Nick was the baby whisperer--cause he is, he can put a baby to sleep in seconds! NO JOKE. But here I was...taming that little firecracker like nothing. After a few minutes her dad came to get her and right as I handed her over, she threw up all over him. That's right sister---save it for your parents.

In the meantime, Phoebe threw a fit while I was gone. Last week Nick and I were talking about all the kids in China who needed homes--well, all the kids everywhere who needed homes, but I think a little chinese girl would be right at home in our house and Phoebe doesn't. As I was leaving for the gym saturday morning she started crying and begging me to stay. When I asked her what the deal was she said 'PLEASE DON'T GO TO CHINA!'


HOLY CACA! I laughed so hard I almost pooped my pants. When I got back from the gym she ran out to the truck and peeked inside to make sure I didn't go to China and bring a sister back.


*sigh* kids..


So, I can imagine that Phoebe thought I was taking Riley to trade her in for a chinese sister, but when I returned to the table alone, she perked up and started drinking her ranch dressing again like a good girl. Then Eric appeared with the baby and she started screaming again..so Nick, the baby whisperer offered himself up and he took that baby and walked away. We could hear her screaming and we were all snickering to ourselves and then----silence.


Eric figured Nick put a few quarters in the video games and let her watch which then would calm her down...so we all kept on eating and then he reappeared right then and this is what we saw...

TOLD YOU!!
Not an ounce of vomit on the guy and her hands were clasped in prayer position and she was out like a light....her parents were A-M-A-Z-E-D! I wasn't--because I said so and no one ever believes me!
I know for a fact he doesn't drug the babies he holds because I check his pockets before we leave the house, so he did this all on his own. You would think that if he can put babies to sleep--that I must get a restful nights sleep every night myself, right?

WRONG.
Up for hire, my husband the baby whisperer. Strong, Handsome, Italian charmer. Only whispers to babies, not the ladies. Serious inquiries only. Please email HIS WIFE at nimodavis@comcast.net. Salary negotiable.

1 comment:

The Wades said...

"she perked up and started drinking her ranch dressing like a good girl." Hee hee. You're the best. I love that. We also guzzle ranch dressing in this family. It seems to go so well with lots of things.

I bet Phoebe would be delighted with a Chinese sister once she appeared. Can't they be delivered? Max and I thought about adopting from there before. I'm sure I'll procrastinate that like most things in my life.

Go Baby Whisperer, go! Cool gift to have. Give that man another baby. :)