Earlier this year Phoebe started riding out at Galloping Grace Youth Ranch. What a FANTASTIC place that is! I finally found something that her and I can have in common besides our love of driving Nick crazy and jamming out to Katy Perry in the Buick!
I was really sort of nervous the first time she went out because I didn't want her to be afraid, even though when she was 15 months she rode a pony at the fair BY HERSELF and screamed when the ride was over. Turns out, at 4, it's the same thing, only she didn't cry when her turn was over, she was gracious and excited to come back. It also turns out that her favorite thing to do out there is scoop poop which I know makes Mr. Max extremely happy.
She's come a long way since that day. She's still bratty and sassy though..*sigh*
Today was her last ride of the year since Mr. Max shuts it down till spring. Today she wandered around to make sure everyone was doing okay since she figures this will be it for her for awhile..she tried to help Flame fix the mess in his hair but turns out he likes having hay and snot in it.
Turns out my kid has never seen a dung beetle either! WHAT?! She was A-M-A-Z-E-D that they love poop and she followed one around for a bit..
I got to hang out a little bit today and enjoy watching the kids run amuck and my kid do what she does best and that is disobey me. The highlight of my day was getting Black out of his pen so the girls could ride him and you know what he did to repay me? He slimed me with his STINKY snotty nose and now I smell like a dung beetle..I forgive him though because like me, he has pirate teeth poor guy..
Phoebe got to ride Red today and all he wanted to do was snooze in the sun...there is no rest for the weary apparently..
The best part for Phoebe and this next picture is for Miss Michelle--was the fact that she got to scoop the tallest pile of poop out there this morning!!
Whoever said Disneyland was the happiest place on earth, has obviously never been out to the Ranch because I tell you what--it really is the happiest place on earth for us and we are grateful to the Wade family and everyone out there for giving our kid and everyone else's kid a chance to experience the joy that is riding a horse and being around nature and being safe while doing so. If I wore a hat, I would take it off to Max and Michelle because my kid will always be able to look back at these pictures and those experiences and remember that awesome feeling she had when she was on top of Red or Cochise or Seabiscuit and no one can ever take that away from her or any other kid who goes out there to ride. Just like I can look back when I was her age and remember the glorious feeling I had when I rode and when I found my first poop beetle or scooped my first pile of fresh, steamy horse poo!
Cheers to you Wade Family. We thank you for giving our daughter these memories and these experiences and I thank you for allowing me to be a part of your volunteer team and the chance to relive my childhood through your horses.

1 comment:
You made me tear up! Melissa, thank you so much for all you kind words. YOU (and sweetie pies just like you) are the reason we do this.
You got some great pictures of Phoebe. My favorite is her scrunchy nose and of course the big poop pile. Gotta love poop pictures.
Thank you so much for all you help this season. A birdie told me you and Steph want to get together during the winter to scoop. Too sweet!
Post a Comment