Wednesday, December 30, 2009

5

5 years ago tonight I gave birth to my daughter who was fashionably a week late. It only took 4 and a half days of labor in the hospital, inducing drugs that didn't work, a lot of the religious channel to get me through the agony, a much anticipated epidural and a fever of almost 104 for them to pull her out of me.


All of the things I was terrified of, none of which were the actual labor mind you--but the IV in the hand (OUCH), a catheter and the epidural, all happened to me and I survived. I didn't have the luxury of pooping on the table while pushing a 9 pounder of out my vagina, but I did get to see my husbands face when they broke my water and stuck a catheter in, wowee he was shocked and AMAZED! (hardly)


A week of eating hard candies and drinking water when I could and craving a pastrami sandwich from Dions which never happened until I got home..and a very good looking anesthesiologist who saw my butt crack among other things and whom I confessed my love for after he jabbed me in the spine with his magic.


Am I sorry I had a c-section? Sort of. I missed out on the seeing her come out, holding her right away, enjoying watching everything. But, I got a really fantastic kid out of it and even though she is a pain in my arse a lot, I love her more than anything.


Today she is 5. I am ecstatic and sad all in one. Her first few months were a blur to me because my hormones were whack and I was in denial that I was a mother. I wish I could remember more of her as a newborn. She was pudgy, loud, the biggest baby in the NICU and had a mohawk. Most awesome kid ever.


5 going on 20.


Me going completely gray in the next year.


and no. I am not having anymore.




Happy Birthday Phoebe!

3 comments:

Trish said...

Wow she was so cute.Love the mohawk

The Wades said...

Beauty then, beauty now.

Enjoyed reading that labor story Melissa-style. You know, your next one would pop out much more smoothly. I can feel it in my bones. ;)

Happy Birthday, Phoebe.

Melissa said...

Ha!! I actually had a dream last night that I had a little boy and that Tim delivered it! WTF?! TIM! And that all I had were girl clothes to put him in to take him home...oy vey.